Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Secondly...


Album: ¡Dos! 
Artist: Green Day
Label: Reprise
Release date: November 9, 2012
Peak chart position/sales: (AUS) #10 (UK) #10 (US) #9

RATING: 2/5 stars

After the classic style of Uno!, Dos! is a wallop of genre confusion. It's positively retro. Opening number See You Tonight is a sentimental cluster of close harmony, sans distortion, while aggressively-titled Fuck Time is actually a delightful rock n' roll romp (with lyrics so overt that they finally cross the line from distasteful to hilarious). Listen to the chorus, then bend your ear to this and you'll see what I mean by retro. Apart from that, the cheerful - dare I say - almost cute groove of Stray Heart (I know...Green Day just mastered 'cute', what the?!) and straight rockin' Lady Cobra are drowning in an album of filler tracks and lame titles (Wow! That's Loud...Ashley...Amy...*yawning*). It's a pity, after all, the retro influence would be a welcome surprise if it wasn't so uninspired. If you don't believe me, listen to The Beatles' All I've Got To Do after album closer Amy. I rest my case.

Is it worth my $$$? - Not really. Simple as that.

Listen to: Fuck Time, Lady Cobra

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that was my opinion...what's yours? :)