Sunday, September 30, 2012

Amen To That


Album: Whatever And Ever Amen
Artist: Ben Folds Five
Label: 550
Released: March 18, 1997
Peak chart position/sales: (AUS) #8, Platinum (CAN) Gold (UK) #30 (US) #42, Platinum

RATING: 4/5 stars

Ben Folds Five is one of those bands that has never really been on my radar - one of those names that sparked my curiosity, if not the motivation to actually listen to them. They disbanded right when I was starting to discover my musical taste, but their recent reunion and new album has made them a lot more present of late. Cue: curiosity and a friend encouraging me to listen to their earlier stuff.  Confusingly consisting of three members, not five, the alt. rock trio formed in 1993 and released three albums before splitting. Whatever and Ever Amen was by far their highest selling release, and as it turns out, even I had heard their hit single "Brick"...

If there's going to be one thing that wins me over, it's genuine instrumental expertise - even more so when it's on my own instrument. So it was a pleasant surprise to discover the prominence of the piano in this album: sitting somewhere in between Beatles rock rhythms and Cat Empire-like jazzy virtuosic irreverence, the confident riffs that underpin these songs are always an inspired contribution to the musical content. The whole album reeks of a band that is totally focussed on their art - not radio time - yet somehow manages not to sacrifice accessibility along the way. Confidently lengthy tracks peak at 15:42 with the beautifully musing "Selfless Cold and Composed", yet the haunting tale of a man and his mentally unstable wife that makes up "Cigarette" is finished in less time than it takes to roll one.

Good humour is another tick in my boxes and BF5 hit this one right on the head as well. From the rebellious throwaway of an album title to the high energy repeats of "kissmyassgoodbye" on opening track "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces", Fold's unsubtle voice drawls its way through a wealth of lyrical flippancy. The blasting cabaret jazz of "Steven's Last Night In Town" paints a witty picture of a charming foreign friend who overstays his welcome ("We thought he was gone/ But now he's come back again/ Last week it was funny/ But now the joke's wearing thin") and the daggy ire of "Song For The Dumped" no doubt resonates with every fella who regrets buying her dinner ("Give me my money back you bitch/ And don't forget to give me back my black T-shirt").

Few albums capture the adrenalin of musical communication between players, that moment when creative sparks fly. Whatever and Ever Amen begs to differ, bursting with tangible vibe and energy. A delightful romp of inspired improvisation, rockin' riffs, undisguised catharsis and the sound of a band having a hell of a lot of fun with it all. Definitely one of the better things to have come out of the nineties.

Listen to: One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces, Selfless Cold and Composed, Steven's Last Night In Town

Is it worth my $$$? - I'm not gonna lie: I'd love this in my music collection. Perfect for rocking out on road trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that was my opinion...what's yours? :)