Sunday, August 12, 2012

Full of Promise


Album: Promise
Composer: Tenmon
Artist: Eminence Symphony Orchestra
Released: 2009

Rating: 4.5/5 stars.

Stretching my musical comfort zone is sometimes more daunting than usual. I mean: 1) I'm not much of an anime fan, 2) reviewing instrumental albums is rather labour-intensive for my weekend brain, and 3) this album was lent to me by the featured pianist, Jem Harding, who reads this blog and whom I have absolutely no desire to insult with my characteristic lack of subtlety. But here I am, reviewing it anyway. Why? Because I couldn't bear to face another album of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus. I blame university. But in the meantime I hit "New post" and pressed play to Promise - a showcase of the music produced by the collaboration of anime director Makoto Shinkai and composer Tenmon, recorded by the Eminence Symphony Orchestra and featuring a number of solo piano arrangements performed by Jem Harding.


As a critic, it is an irritating thing to develop sincere feelings of love for an album - unlike sincere feelings of hatred, it inhibits analytical thought and careful criticism. But it took me the entire weekend to stop listening long enough to start writing this review, so I may as well admit it: I adored every second of this album. From the off it is clear that this is melodically sound composition, and if there's something I'm a sucker for it's strong melodies. You can throw together harmonies and polyrhythms and bass lines all you want, but few things make me happier than a distinct melody. Filled with lush orchestration and intimately melded duets,  the consistently pleasing melodic development gives the album definite direction and purpose throughout. The featured acoustic guitar on track 3 is a slightly incongruent addition to the mix, but the Simon & Garfunkel-esque work blends successfully with the orchestra in later tracks, so all is forgiven.


Much like a dazzling visual or eloquent script there is something about good cinematic music that holds the senses absolutely captive, and Tenmon's ever-changing soundscape ensnares the listener's attentions from the first hesitant string chorus. Although the pieces are from a variety of Shinkai's films, the compilation has a carefully crafted narrative flow that works beautifully as a whole.  The upbeat change at track 5 bursts with the energy of chugging strings and cheeky tambourine before giving way to bright, rippling piano and woodwind exchanges that positively soar. Just past the halfway mark bittersweet cello and violin sweep the mood into a darker place on track 8 and the album decreases in pace with icy piano notes and mellow chords. Closing with a lushly orchestrated main theme, followed by a stunning solo piano arrangement of the same, the album's denouement signals the end of a colourful adventure, and one the like of which I have never encountered before.

I could speak of cheese and scoff at melodrama, but I won't, because despite its highly emotive tendencies Promise does not tread into tasteless territory. Oh sure, there's enough dramatic crescendos  to fill a 1940's romance; yet interspersed with enough delicacy to offset the swelling strings and heart-wrenching piano, the cumulative effect of Promise is breathtaking, highly strung, but not gaudy. The production leaves something to be desired; it lacks the finesse and clear quality of professional recording. But klutzy production cannot totally obscure beautiful music and despite the at times thin sound, the melodies and rich orchestration really steal the show here.

An impossibly pretty, emotionally exhilarating collection that is a feast for the ears and a soundtrack for the imagination. I am rethinking my current opinion of anime...


Is it worth my $$$? - With great restraint, I shall refrain from putting my resounding "Yes" in caps lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that was my opinion...what's yours? :)